until the forums below look good for you
(smaller with [Ctrl]+[-]), then close this box here
(click the X in its top right corner).

🇩🇪️ Erhöhe mit [Strg]+[+] die Schriftgröße,
bis die Foren unten für dich gut aussehen
(kleiner mit [Strg]+[-]), dann schließe diese Info
(klick auf das X hier oben rechts).

Language-learning fans?

A place for discussing anything of your interest that does not fit into any other category.
VoysonM
Professor General Voyson Molaskes
(Community Admin)
Professor General Voyson Molaskes<br>(Community Admin)
Posts in topic: 3
Profile news headline: Translating the FD PDF

Language-learning fans?

Post by VoysonM »

Any other passionate learners of languages out there?
Which languages do you like and/or know?
Maybe even constructed ones?

See my profile for some natural languages that I have studied more or less in detail.

I have also studied a few constructed languages (especially Lojban, Toki Pona, and Rick Morneau's Lexical Semantics which he renamed several times, for instance Latejami, Ladekwa, etc), and have (partially) constructed two myself, Lina (mostly inspired by Eurixa/Eurish) and the World Language Project (see http://voyson.info/en/?/The-Perfect-World-Language).

My hot tip for language learning (and/or mere enjoyment) is watching the tv series "Fuller House" on Netflix, changing your user account language to your desired target language and then changing the spoken language (I recommend no subtitles!) in the series. The series is available in many (sadly not all) of Netflix' user languages, expertly done, and is perfect for language study as it is light entertainment with everyday language spoken by different ages of both sexes. Watch it first in English to enjoy and learn the story, then have a go at other languages! Enjoy! :)
Cuscortoskos
L10+
L10+
Posts in topic: 1

Good tip regarding Netflix!

Post by Cuscortoskos »

Thanks for the tip about Netflix, I didn't know this was possible. I had so far always assumed that they show you all the available languages. Apparently, for whatever reason, this is not so. Thanks again for the tip, I will definitely use that.
VoysonM
(Community Admin)

Netflix

Post by VoysonM »

Just make sure you remember the (simple) Netflix menu structure when switching to a language that you cannot read. For instance, I can't read Chinese or Japanese and really had to be careful not to accidentally delete my profile instead of switching to the next language. It's quite straightforward, but still better to pay some attention.
Larissa1
L10+
L10+
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Language-learning fans?

Post by Larissa1 »

Oh. My. Gosh!!! I love this series, too! And I just checked and can really watch it now also not only in French, German and English (they also offer Turkish and Dutch by default, but they don't interest me so much), but also in Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and even Romanian?! Wow!! Thanks a thousand times for this tip, I wouldn't have dreamed of trying this simple "trick" myself! Thanks, thanks, thanks!

PS: Ah, shucks, the old series "Full House", which I like even better, is not available in many languages, what a pity. But okay, "Fuller House" will fill my next weeks, or perhaps months. :D
VoysonM
(Community Admin)

Re: Language-learning fans?

Post by VoysonM »

Same here, with "Full House", also the same disappointment. On DVDs, I have it in English, German and Hungarian, but the latter is not a language I'm particularly interested in. And most series are only in English and German on Netflix, at least most that interest me. But, well, I still have several languages to go with "Fuller House", and then I will continue with my DVD series collection, where for instance I have "Scrubs" in English, German, Italian, French, and Spanish (so far watched only in English), just as one example.

PS: One series I also love on Netflix is "The World's Most Extraordinary Homes", and I think it's also available in quite a few languages on top of those offered by default. I might err there, but I think default is English, German, French, maybe also Turkish, but if I remember correctly I've also seen that it exists in Italian at least, so perhaps in several other languages, as well.